At this location
Since opening our facility in 1994, Bristol Regional Medical Center has served the community through superior quality care, technological innovation and compassion.
High quality, nationally recognized care
Bristol Regional continues to be recognized among the nation’s best hospitals.
Superior heart care
Award-winning heart attack response times
The cardiovascular team at Bristol Regional provides award-winning heart attack response times. In a heart attack, getting a patient into treatment quickly is critical.
To accomplish our fast treatment times, we’ve developed the Level One Heart Attack Network (which is unique in our region) and offer 24/7 cardiac cath labs and cardiac surgery support, as well as dedicated stroke care services.
Recognition for heart treatment, outcomes and patient safety
Bristol Regional’s cardiovascular services have earned some of the nation’s highest praise for patient outcomes, patient safety and rapid and effective treatment. Those accolades include:
- High-Performing Hospital for 2019-20 by U.S. News & World Report, ranking Number 7 in Tennessee and earning "High Performing" ratings for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, colon cancer surgery, heart failure and knee replacement
- The Joint Commission Advanced Certification for Total Hip and Knee Replacement
- The Joint Commission Advanced Certification for Primary Stroke Center
- Get with the Guidelines-Stroke Silver Honor Roll Achievement by the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association for applying the most up-to-date evidence based treatment guidelines to improve patient care and outcomes in the community
- 2019 Blue Distinction Center and Designation by BlueCross BlueShield of TN for spine program expertise and cost efficiency in specialty care
- Mission: Lifeline ® Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award by the American Heart Association for superior heart attack treatment
- Novalis Certified Stereotactic and Radiation Oncology Services for evidence based, high standards of quality care
Bristol Regional offers state-of-the-art facilities such as:
- Deborah H. Quillen Birthing Center, a newly renovated facility where families can welcome new life in comfortable, updated surroundings
- Highly acclaimed Level II trauma center and 24/7 emergency and surgical services
- Pediatric ER
- Primary stroke center – the region’s first – offering around-the-clock neurological coverage
- Leonard Family Comprehensive Breast Center, which provides a full spectrum of breast care – from cancer prevention and screening to detection, diagnosis, treatment and survivorship
- Imaging services at two Bristol locations, the Volunteer Parkway Imaging Center and Sapling Grove Imaging Center
Pediatric emergency department
The new J.D. Nicewonder Family Pediatric Emergency Department is part of a regional system of care for children, including pediatric surgery, trauma and Level III NICU services at Niswonger Children’s Hospital in Johnson City.
A dedicated pediatric trained staff at Bristol Regional and telemedicine capabilities with Niswonger Children’s Hospital provides increased access to specialized pediatric care.
This ER features:
- Separate entrance and family-friendly waiting area
- Clinically trained Child Life Specialists dedicated to improving your child’s care through therapeutic play, medical play and other intervention techniques
- New triage area
- Nurse station and four dedicated pediatric exam rooms
The new space is kid-friendly with bright colors and patterns.
Pediatric ER hours
The pediatric emergency department hours of operation are noon to midnight each day.
After-hours pediatric patients will be treated in the main Bristol Regional emergency department.
Robotic and minimally invasive surgical options
Advanced cancer care technologies
Bristol Regional delivers advanced oncology care by offering two robotic radiosurgery technologies in the J.D. and Lorraine Nicewonder Cancer Center:
- TrueBeam STx with Brainlab
- CyberKnife Stereotactic Radiosurgery System
Both CyberKnife and TrueBeam use state-of-the-art robotic technology to treat life-threatening tumors that would otherwise be inoperable.
Bristol Regional Medical Center offers robotic-assisted surgery with the da Vinci®, Mako SmartRobotics™ and ExcelsiusGPS® robotic systems. These less invasive surgical systems significantly reduce the recovery time and pain for patients.
Learn more about robotic-assisted surgery.
Other key services
Some of the other services we offer in Bristol include:
- Diabetes Treatment Center
- Hospice and palliative care, both inpatient and outpatient
- Inpatient behavioral health
- Occupational health
- Every Step Joint Replacement Center, offering ankle, knee, hip and shoulder replacement
- Rehabilitation services, including Small Steps Pediatric Rehab
- Women’s health
- Wound Care
McGlothlin-Street Hospitality House
The McGlothlin-Street Hospitality House is “a home away from home” for patients and families who need a place to stay while receiving care at Bristol Regional.
Affordable, temporary lodging at McGlothlin-Street is a convenient option when:
- You or a family member are hospitalized or are having outpatient treatment
- You live outside a 60-mile radius of Bristol
- And you meet other eligibility requirements
The facility is close to the hospital, and each room accommodates up to four guests.
This helps remove financial and logistic barriers for patients and their caregivers, so everyone can focus more on treatment and healing.
Dedicated to providing you with superior, compassionate care
Whether you were born here, healed here or both, Bristol Regional is a part of your community. Though health care is constantly changing, one thing is certain – you can be confident in the care you receive at Bristol Regional.
Every physician, nurse, technologist and support staff member of our team is passionate about your healing and improving your quality of life, as well as the health of our community.
Along with our hospital in Bristol, urgent care facilities in Abingdon and Bristol, and physician practices throughout the area, we’re providing the quality services you need – close to home.
- More than 270 board-certified or board-eligible physicians
- More than 1,615 nurses, technicians and support staff members
- Dr. Chad Couch – President, Northeast Market; Chief Executive Officer, Bristol Regional Medical Center
- Dr. Karen Shelton – VP, Chief Medical Officer
- Bob Bender – VP, Chief Financial Officer, Northeast Market
- Bobbie Murphy – VP, Patient Care and Chief Nursing Officer
- Chris Miller – VP, Chief Operating Officer
- John Betts – Assistant VP and Associate Administrator
- Rachel McGlothlin – Market Director, Marketing & Communications, Northeast Market
Medical care and community impact reports
Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA)
Bristol Regional Medical Center CHNA [PDF – opens in new window]
CMS price transparency
Standard Charges file last updated Feb. 23, 2021.
Metrics by MS-DRG*
Bristol Regional MS-DRG metrics [PDF, 98KB], fiscal 2019
View more Ballad Health MS-DRG metrics here.
*MS-DRGs are Medicare Severity Diagnosis Related Groups.