You are here
What you need to know about riding safely
Bicycles, skateboards, skates and scooters – these popular play vehicles for kids can be fun, but they’re also a leading cause of childhood injuries.
Important rules for the road, driveway or bike path
Following these safety guidelines will help keep you outside having fun – and out of the emergency room.
- Always wear the appropriate helmet when using your bike, skates, skateboard or scooter.
- Check your bike, skateboard, skates or scooter for wear and tear before every use.
- Wear closed-toe shoes and bright-colored clothes that aren’t too baggy.
- GEAR UP! Wear protective elbow pads, knee pads, gloves and wrist guards.
- Learn and obey the rules for your play vehicle.
- Skates, skateboards and scooters should only be used in designated areas, like parks and driveways – not streets.
- No headphones, please!
- Do not use your bike, skates, skateboard or scooter at night or in bad weather.
- Only one person per bike, skateboard or scooter.
- If practicing tricks, learn to fall safely to reduce the risk of severe injuries.
- Always use hand signals.