Family Medicine Residency Salary & Benefits – Abingdon
Residency Program at Johnston Memorial Hospital
Thank you for your interest in the family medicine residency program at Johnston Memorial Hospital in Abingdon, Virginia. Together, we are transforming our region by making communities healthier, expanding access to critical services in rural areas and investing in medical education.
We are committed to providing our residents with competitive salaries, educational support, and an extensive range of benefits to ensure their well-being and professional growth.
Residents are employees of Johnston Memorial Hospital and are provided with Ballad Health employee benefits in addition to these residency program benefits listed below.
Yearly base rate
Our program offers a competitive yearly base salary that increases with each year of training:
PGY-1 AY: $55,764
PGY-2 AY: $57,235
PGY-3 AY: $59,319
In addition to the yearly salary, we provide our residents with an educational stipend to help cover the cost of educational materials and resources. This stipend increases as residents progress through their training:
Paid days off
We understand the importance of maintaining a healthy work-life balance. Our residents are granted twenty paid leave days per academic year. However, to ensure continuity of patient care and an optimal learning experience, there are guidelines around using paid time off:
- No more than five days off may be taken per 4-week rotation, except in emergency situations.
- No more than two days off may be taken per 2-week rotation, except in emergency situations.
- PGY-1 are not allowed to take vacation during the month of July.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package to support our residents' overall well-being and professional development. Some of the benefits provided include:
- Life insurance
- Comprehensive health insurance plan, including prescription card
- Dental insurance
- Retirement plans
- Professional residency program liability insurance, with tail coverage as needed
- Wellness program and fitness centers
- Credit union
- Meal plan
- Two complimentary lab coats (PGY-1); including dry cleaning
- Two complimentary fleece jackets
- Medical library privileges
- Residency training license fees
- Step 3 board exam fees are reimbursable by the program for one attempt
- AAFP membership dues are paid by the program
- Free employee parking
- Free counseling, medical and psychological support services through Ballad Health's Employee Assistance Program
About Family Medicine Residency in Abingdon
We prioritize our residents' success and well-being. Our competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, exceptional training, and mentorship ensure a rewarding and balanced medical career experience.
Follow these links to get acquainted with where you'd be working and learning, as well as the leaders who will guide you.
- All about the family residency program in Abingdon
- Your curriculum and 3 year plan
- Abingdon Family Medicine Residency Leadership
- Meet your fellow residents
- Life and work in the Appalachian Highlands
If you have any questions, please contact us at (276) 258-4435.
How to apply
Applicants must use the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) to apply: