Spooky Trail at Niswonger Children’s Hospital
COVID-19 means changes, but here’s what we’ve planned
Due to COVID-19 and increased safety precautions, Niswonger Children’s Hospital will not be holding its annual Spooky Trail event in the hospital. However, the plan is to hold this event virtually and give our community an opportunity to participate.
For the virtual event, we are asking community members to create a basket to be handed out to patients at Niswonger Children’s Hospital the week of Halloween. Baskets will also be distributed at affiliated pediatric departments (Bristol Regional Medical Center ED, etc).
The Child Life Department has suggested that baskets be organized by gender, based on age groups. You may choose to make a basket for infants, toddlers, elementary school ages, adolescents or teens. All items must be new and in their original packaging. No homemade goodies, please. Candy in original packaging is allowed, but we ask that you donate a minimal amount of candy if you choose to do so. Some patients may be on dietary restrictions.
We encourage you, your community organization, classroom or family to dress up in a themed costume and take a photo to submit with your basket so patients may still enjoy seeing people dressed up! Please print and attach your photo to your basket. Personalized notes may be submitted with baskets as well. These photos may also be featured on social media. Please email Amanda.firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange drop-off of your basket.
Holidays are always a fun, special time at Niswonger Children’s Hospital, and we look forward to involving our community to bring cheer to our pediatric patients this Halloween!
Items for baskets
- Halloween-themed onesies, pacifiers, bottles, burp cloths, blankets
- Baby wash
- Halloween-themed bubbles, balls, stuffed animals/characters, stickers
- Sippy cups
- Age-appropriate toys
- Halloween-themed toys/trinkets, stickers, etc.
- Small craft kits
- Coloring/painting activities
- Card games
- Board games
- Brain-teaser games
- Craft kits
- Nail polish
- Small-increment gift cards (Target, Walmart, GameStop, Starbucks, Dunkin’ Donuts)
- Cellphone accessories/Bluetooth accessories
- Fuzzy socks
- Bath and body items
- Teen coloring
Ongoing needs for other items:
- Lounge wear/comfy clothing – All ages/sizes appreciated, but our biggest need is always for teens. This would be adult sizes small through XL, with lounge/PJ pants being the greatest need.
- Wireless sports bras (small-large)
- Underwear (all sizes)
- Hair brushes
- Hair detangle spray
- Sippy cups
- Lip balm
- Fuzzy/fleece blankets
- Skinny markers