You are here
If arthritis pain in your knee won’t go away, your orthopedic surgeon might recommend knee replacement surgery – one of the most successful treatments in any area of medicine.
Get your surgery at a Ballad Health hospital, and you’ll receive the care you need to start enjoying a more active lifestyle.
Is knee replacement for me?
You may qualify for knee replacement surgery if:
- Knee stiffness makes it hard to walk or do daily tasks.
- You feel pain while resting or sleeping.
- Nonsurgical treatments, such as physical therapy and pain management, haven’t helped long-term.
To decide whether knee replacement is your best option, a surgeon will review your medical history, look at how your knee moves and order an imaging test to see inside the joint.
The imaging test results show whether cartilage, or cushioning, has worn away between knee bones. If there’s not enough cartilage, your bones rub together and cause pain.
How knee replacement works
During a knee replacement procedure, your surgeon removes damaged cartilage and bone from your knee.
He or she then puts in place a metal and plastic joint that’s right for your body size, gender and activity level.
Anesthesia will prevent you from feeling pain during surgery, which takes one to two hours.
Minimally invasive knee replacement
Your surgeon might recommend minimally invasive knee replacement, depending on your health, medical history and other factors.
This approach uses smaller incisions, or cuts in the skin, and affects fewer muscles. That means you’ll notice less scarring and pain after surgery, and you’ll recover faster.
Knee replacement revision
Your new knee can last up to 20 years. But a surgeon might need to replace the artificial joint if:
- You outlive the implant.
- High-impact athletic activities wear down the joint.
- The implant loosens or moves.
- Your knee gets infected.
If you notice pain, swelling or stiffness after your recovery, talk to your surgeon. You may need knee revisioning, or a replacement of your artificial joint.
Complete care you can trust
At Ballad Health hospitals, you’ll find complete orthopedic care, support and answers to your questions before and after surgery. And you’ll benefit from hospitals recognized for providing safe, affordable, high-quality knee replacement services.
In fact, you’ll find one of the top-rated certified joint replacement programs nationwide right here at Ballad Health.
What do our patients say?
“Have the surgery sooner rather than later. I wish I had done it five years earlier.” – Mark Banks
“Knee replacement surgery has restored my life… I feel like I can do anything I could do before.” – Carl Moore
“I have no knee pain whatsoever. I’m back to riding my bicycle and doing things with my family without pain.” – Jennifer Pinnell
To find out more about Ballad Health’s knee replacement program in East Tennessee or Southwest Virginia, you can call:
- Bristol Regional joint replacement center – Kayla Salva, (423) 844-4308
- Holston Valley joint replacement center – Wanda Salyer, (423) 224-5485
- Johnson City Medical Center knee replacement – Misty Jenkins, (423) 431-6937
- Johnston Memorial orthopedic services – Emily Nutter, (276) 258-3453
- Laughlin / Greeneville Orthopedic Clinic – Ann Neal, (423) 431-2376
- Smyth County Community orthopedic services – Nicole Reasor, (276) 378-2063
- Sycamore Shoals orthopedic services – Lisa Hayes, (423) 542-1394
If the hospital closest to you isn’t listed above, please call (423) 431-6937 for more information.
Knee Replacement Locations
Bristol, TN 37620
Kingsport, TN 37660
Kingsport, TN 37660
Johnson City, TN 37604
Abingdon, VA 24211
Greeneville, TN 37745
Marion, VA 24354