Keeping track of your heart’s health can help you enjoy a longer life. Rely on Ballad Health for tests that can catch heart and vascular issues early, and then learn how to help your heart stay well.
Health screenings help identify possible problems before you notice symptoms of any condition. Getting screenings regularly makes it more likely you’ll receive timely treatment for a health issue.
Ask your primary care provider how often you need the simple exams that measure:
- Blood pressure
- Blood sugar
- Body mass index (BMI)
- Cholesterol and triglycerides
- Calcium in heart arteries
Screenings Near You
If you live in the mountains of East Tennessee and Southwest Virginia, health care providers might visit your area to offer some heart screenings.
Find out the next time a health screening bus will be near you.
Reduce Your Risk of Heart Disease
No matter your age, sex or family history, you can take these steps to lower your risk of heart disease:
- Don’t smoke or use tobacco. Learn tips for quitting smoking.
- Exercise often, ideally 20-30 minutes most days. Physical activity at The Wellness Center or elsewhere strengthens your heart and controls your weight.
- Eat healthfully. Include vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, lean meats and fish in your diet. Limit sugar and salt. Avoid fried foods, packaged snacks and margarine.
- Get enough sleep. Visit our sleep specialists if you have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep.
- Manage stress. Exercise, meditation and behavioral health care can help.
To learn more about how to keep your heart well, take a health and fitness class and explore other healthy living resources.