As part of its effort to bring much-needed healthcare services back to Lee County, Ballad Health will begin caring for patients at its new urgent care center on Oct. 9 ... read more about Ballad Health to open new Lee County urgent care center Oct. 9, 2019.
You are here
New Medicaid health coverage for Virginia adults
Medicaid expansion in Va. – enroll today
New quality, low-cost health coverage will be available to up to 400,000 Virginia adults, starting January 1, 2019.
This includes many people who work in retail, construction, childcare, landscaping, food service or other jobs that don’t provide health insurance.
It is possible you or a family member are now eligible, even if you applied for Medicaid in the past and were denied.
Who is eligible?
Under the new guidelines, a single adult making at or below $16,750 annually may be eligible.
Also, a parent in a family of three with a household income at or below $28,700 may also qualify.
You must be between 19 and 64 years old and cannot receive or be eligible for Medicare.
Additional criteria apply, and eligibility depends on the size of the household and your household income.
What are the key dates?
- Now – Applications are now being accepted under the new eligibility rules for adults.
- January 1 – Coverage begins for newly enrolled adults.
Find enrollment events being held in November at Ballad Health hospitals.
What is covered?
The new coverage will include all Medicaid covered services, including evidence-based preventive services such as:
- Doctor, hospital and emergency services, including primary and specialty care
- Prescription drugs
- Laboratory and X-ray services
- Maternity and newborn care
- Home health services
- Behavioral health services, including addiction and recovery treatment services
- Rehabilitative services, including physical, occupational and speech therapies
- Family planning services
- Medical equipment and supplies
- Preventive and wellness services, including annual wellness exams, immunizations, smoking cessation and nutritional counseling
- Transportation to Medicaid-covered services when no alternatives are available
- and more
How is coverage provided?
Coverage will be provided for most individuals through the Medallion 4.0 and Commonwealth Coordinated Care Plus (CCC Plus) managed care programs.
It will be offered through the current health plans:
- Aetna Better Health of Virginia
- Anthem HealthKeepers Plus
- Magellan Complete Care of Virginia
- Optima Health
- Virginia Premier Health Plan.
These health plans are offered for both Medallion 4.0 and CCC Plus programs.
How can you apply for coverage?
To apply for new coverage, visit www.coverva.org.
Or call Cover Virginia at 1-855-242-8282.