Ballad Health Trauma Care
When an injury threatens your life, an organ or a limb, you need a team of highly specialized trauma care physicians close to you. At Ballad Health, we want to make sure the highest standard of trauma care is available to the entire Appalachian Highlands.
We’ve invested in a coordinated network of care that includes:
- Level 1 Trauma Center
- Two Level 3 Trauma centers
- Fellowship-trained traumatologists
- Partnership with East Tennessee State University
What does it mean to have a trauma network in the Appalachian Highlands?
It means trauma care starts the second you connect with medical personnel after injury, not just when you get to a dedicated trauma center.
It means that through a community partnership between Ballad Health, local EMS, specialized trauma surgeons and ETSU’s Quillen College of Medicine, we are all working together to save lives and limbs.
It means that no matter where you live, if you’re hurt, we’ll get you to the right place at the right time for the right care.
Our trauma care services
Ballad Health's team of trauma specialists offer 24/7 coverage at Johnson City Medical Center’s Level 1 Trauma Center, recognized as top 10% in the nation for patient safety in trauma care by CareChex®. Trauma specialists in our regional network include:
- Orthopedic traumatologists
- Full-time trauma surgeons
- Craniofacial plastic surgeons
- Otolaryngologist (ear, nose and throat)
Level I Trauma Center
Johnson City Medical Center is a Level I trauma center – the highest level possible. That means you can count on:
- A trauma surgeon who’s always in the emergency room
- Surgeons and specialists available all the time
- Full range of surgical services to treat injuries anywhere in your body
- Lab and imaging technology that quickly shows where and how you’re hurt
- Intensive care unit, where staff watch over you around the clock
Our Trauma Center is one of five Level 1 state-accredited trauma centers for Tennessee.
Level III Trauma Centers
The Level III trauma centers at Ballad Health are Bristol Regional Medical Center and Holston Valley Medical Center. A Level III trauma center provides prompt emergency services for patients, including:
- Intensive care
When these trauma centers receive notification of a critically injured patient, they activate on-call personnel to respond promptly to the hospital.