You are here
Choose Ballad Health for your gynecologic procedure and start feeling more like yourself again. You can rely on our skilled doctors for quality care at one of our convenient locations in East Tennessee and Southwest Virginia.
Expert care for women
Gynecologic surgery can be an effective way to treat health conditions that might affect a woman’s reproductive system.
Depend on the expert gynecologists at Ballad Health to answer your questions and recommend options with your wishes in mind. The advanced technology and procedures Ballad Health surgeons use can help you heal faster and reach the best results possible.
Less-invasive surgical options
Traditional (open) gynecologic surgery is done through a single incision (cut in the skin). At Ballad Health, there are less-invasive options. This means that you can heal faster with less pain and small scars or no scars.
With the da Vinci® surgical system, your surgeon uses small incisions and tiny, robotic-assisted surgical tools to do gynecologic procedures. Surgeons can do some procedures through the vagina, which prevents the need for an incision.
Talk to your doctor about the type of surgery that’s right for you.
Conditions we treat
Gynecologic surgery can help treat:
- Cancer that affects women’s reproductive organs, such as cervical cancer or uterine cancer
- Endometriosis – Tissue that grows outside of the uterus and causes pain
- Menorrhagia – Abnormal or heavy bleeding
- Pelvic organ prolapse – An organ in the pelvic area, such as the vagina or bladder, that moves out of place
- Urinary incontinence – Loss of control that causes you to pass urine when you don’t want to
- Fecal incontinence – Loss of control that causes you to pass feces when you don’t want to
- Uterine fibroids – Benign (non-cancerous) tumors in the uterus
- Vaginal reconstructive surgery
Your health care provider may recommend a gynecologic procedure to check the health of your reproductive system or diagnose a condition. These tests include:
- Cervical biopsy – Removes a tiny amount of tissue from the cervix for testing
- Colposcopy – Examines the cervix and vagina
- Cystometrogram – Looks at the bladder
- Hysteroscopy – Uses a thin tube called the hysteroscope to examine the uterus and cervix
- Sonohysterography – Shows the shape of the uterus
Sometimes, a doctor can treat you during the same procedure.
Choose the compassionate surgeons at Ballad Health for full gynecologic surgical services:
- Bladder suspension – Treats urinary incontinence
- Dilatation and curettage (D&C) – Opens the cervix to remove tissue in the uterus
- Endometrial ablation or uterine ablation – Removes the lining of the uterus
- G-shots – Increase sex drive
- Hysterectomy – Removes the uterus
- Loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP) – Removes abnormal tissue from the cervix
- Myomectomy – Removes fibroids
- Pelvic floor reconstruction – Repairs organs in the pelvis
- Pelvic mass removal – Takes out a growth or tumor in the pelvis
- Pessary fitting – Places a device called a pessary in the vagina to prevent urinary incontinence
Talk to your doctor about long-term or permanent birth control. Procedures that can help prevent pregnancies include:
- Intrauterine device (IUD) placement – Types of IUDs include Mirena®, ParaGard®, Skyla®
- Tubal ligation – Surgery to tie or cut the fallopian tubes and permanently prevent pregnancy (sterilization)
- Tubal occlusion (Essure®) – A form of permanent birth control that places a coil into each of the fallopian tubes
Gynecologic Surgery Locations
Johnson City, TN 37604
Kingsport, TN 37660
Johnson City, TN 37604
Abingdon, VA 24211
Greeneville, TN 37745
Norton, VA 24273
Lebanon, VA 24266