At this location
Russell County Hospital is a not-for-profit, 78-bed hospital dedicated to bringing quality healthcare to Southwest Virginia.
As a community hospital, Russell County Hospital offers a full array of primary care and some specialty services, including behavioral health.
Russell County Hospital is certified as an American Heart Association Get with the Guidelines™ facility.
The Clearview Psychiatric Center opened its doors in August 1987 and has been providing behavioral health services to residents of Russell County and surrounding areas ever since.
In the fight against cancer, the Regional Cancer Center is on the front lines, right here at home. With our exceptional physicians, team members and advanced technology, cancer has met its match.
Center for Sleep Disorders
Russell County Hospital offers comprehensive sleep services for those who suffer from sleep disorders.
Convenient direct lab testing is available at Russell County Hospital. A physician referral is not required. It is convenient, affordable and fits into your busy lifestyle.
The ER at Russell County Hospital is staffed 24 hours a day year-round with specially trained physicians, registered nurses and healthcare personnel to provide diagnosis and treatment for illness and injuries.
Hospice care is about quality of life, regardless of the time that remains. It affirms quality of life and provides comfort care, spiritual care and emotional care while maintaining patient dignity.
Located on the right side of the hospital and accessible through its own entrance is the modern outpatient surgery center, used extensively by patients whose surgery does not necessitate an overnight stay.
Medical care and community impact reports
Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA)
Russell County Hospital CHNA [PDF – opens in new window]
CMS price transparency
Standard Charges file last updated Feb. 23, 2021.
Metrics by MS-DRG*
Russell County Community MS-DRG metrics [PDF, 38KB], fiscal 2019
View more Ballad Health MS-DRG metrics here.
*MS-DRGs are Medicare Severity Diagnosis Related Groups.
Expand a section below to read more about Russell County Hospital and our community.
- Communities Served
Russell County Hospital serves the following counties:
- Washington VA
- Awards and Accreditations
Russell County Hospital has been recognized with:
- Hospital – The Joint Commission accreditation
- Laboratory – The Joint Commission accreditation
- Clearview – The Joint Commission accreditation
- Mammography – American College of Radiology
- Mammography – U.S. Food & Drug Administration certified
- CT – American College of Radiology
- Nuclear Medicine – American College of Radiology
- Greta Morrison, RN – Administrator, Assistant VP, Chief Nursing Officer
- Edward Pryor – Assistant VP, Chief Financial Officer
- Angela Vanover – Manager, ED & ICU
- Susan Hilton – Manager, Physician/Guest Relations
- Tina McDaniel – Manager, Human Resources
- Rachel McGlothlin – Market Director, Marketing & Communications, Northeast Market
Board of Trustees
- Elizabeth “Bee” Stuart, Chairman
- Randall Hillman, Vice-Chairman
- Gregory Ball, PharmD
- Bernard Fletcher
- Stan Hickson
- Ernest “Shy” Kennedy
- John Kerr, Jr., M.D.
- Matthew Lindamood
- Benjamin Price, PharmD
Message from the CEO
At Russell County Hospital, we take pride in providing comprehensive healthcare services close to home. These are exciting times for our hospital as we work to bring expanded offerings and specialty services to our region. We are investing in you, our community, and hope you will continue to choose us for your healthcare needs. As we upgrade our facility, add new services and recruit new providers to serve you, we remain committed to providing the same quality, personal care you have come to expect from Russell County Hospital.
Whether it’s being active in local charity events or supporting programs that matter to our community, we are proud to be an active contributor to our region. We are here to help you and your loved ones, and to bring top quality care and services to our Southwest Virginia community.
We thank you for embracing Russell County Hospital as your hometown hospital and look forward to serving you in the future!
Greta Morrison, RN
- Our History and Community
Russell County Hospital has been serving the community for more than 70 years. Here are a few important milestones:
Dr. A.K. Gilmer and Dr. Daniel Trigg opened the first hospital in Lebanon. Trigg-Gilmer Hospital was a 12-bed hospital located on Main Street in the Bays Building (current TruPoint Bank).
Began providing healthcare service to the community.
Dr. W.C. Elliot and Dr. James Elliot opened Lebanon General Hospital (25 beds) on our present site.
Hospital was expanded to 50 beds.
Added another 40 beds.
The Elliots sold the hospital to Russell County Health Facilities, and the name was changed to Russell County Medical Center.
Brookside opened (20-bed inpatient psychiatric unit)
The facility became a part of Mountain States Health.
Russell County Medical Center received designation as a Center for Excellence in Pneumonia Care from the Joint Commission.
Russell County Medical Center and Johnston Memorial Hospital in Abingdon established a connection to expand the services offered to residents of Southwest Virginia.
Russell County population = 30,308
- 22 miles from Abingdon VA
- 38 miles from Tri-Cities, Tenn./VA
- 136 miles from Roanoke, VA
- 135 miles from Knoxville, TN
- Russell County Public Schools
- Appalachian College of Pharmacy
- University of Virginia-Wise
- Emory & Henry College
- Appalachian School of Law
- Southwest Virginia Community College
- Virginia Highlands Community College
- King University
- East Tennessee State University
- Old Dominion University
- Average household income: $31,111
- Average cost of existing 3BR home: $70,000
- Average cost of a 2BR apartment: $415
- Number of single-family homes: 11,789
- Number of rental units: 1,402
- State income tax: Yes, 2.0-5.75%
Points of interest:
Located in a fast-growing technology hub, Lebanon has attracted world-class employers, including CGI-AMS and Northrup-Grummon.
Russell County offers:
- Russell County Fair & Horse Show, Virginia Highlands Festival, State Theatre of Virginia (Barter Theatre), William King Arts Museum
- Symphony, arts programs, genealogy
- 73 churches
- Wildlife reserves and community parks
- Equestrian activities
- Sports: soccer, baseball, softball, tennis, football
- Fresh water sport fishing and game hunting
- Hospital Parking
Parking is available at no charge at Russell County Hospital.
Where to park
You may park:
- In the lot to the left of the hospital’s main entrance
- On the street in front of the hospital (except in designated zones)
- In the large parking lot to the left of and below the hospital
Handicapped parking is located in front of the facility.
For your convenience – whether you’re a patient or visitor – a motorized carrier shuttle donated by the Russell County Hospital Auxiliary runs throughout the day.
Please make use of the shuttle for quick, easy transportation between the parking lots and hospital entrances.