You are here
Birthing Center at Indian Path
Birthing center visitation restrictions
To help contain coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), Ballad Health hospitals have implemented new labor and delivery visitation restrictions, including:
- Allowing 1 patient-support person and 1 visitor per room*
- Engaging all visitors in screening protocols
- Limiting public entry points
*Visitors are not currently allowed in non-pediatric hospital departments. Please read more about these visitation restrictions.
About the Barbara Humphreys Birthing Center
Family-centered, single-room maternity care
For most patients at the Barbara Humphreys Birthing Center at Indian Path Community Hospital, labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum care happen in one room.
Your room will be comfortable, beautifully decorated and feature the latest monitoring equipment.
Should a Caesarean birth be necessary, fully equipped obstetric (OB) surgical suites are located inside the birth center.
The Humphreys birthing center offers:
- Private rooms
- LDRP – labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum care – in the same room
- Lactation specialist
- Support Newborn Golden Hour
- Childbirth classes
- Inpatient OB certified nurses
- Midwifery program
Your birthing center team
Doctors and certified OB nurses
Experienced obstetric and newborn nurses provide skillful attention.
Neonatologists, specialists in the care of special-care newborns, are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week if needed.
In conjunction with MSMG OB-GYN, the midwifery program at Indian Path recognizes pregnancy and delivery as normal lifecycle processes that require limited medical intervention.
As a parent-to-be, you’ll receive a combination of education, counseling and prenatal care. You will also have hands-on assistance during labor and delivery, as well as support once the baby is born.
Based on the best evidence available, the Midwives Model of Care provides individualized plans for care and healing to:
- Monitor physical, psychological and social well-being from pregnancy through delivery
- Work closely with obstetricians, who are available at all times
- Reduce the incidence of birth injury, trauma or Cesarean sections
- Serve as primary caregivers for general women’s health
Should additional medical attention or technology be necessary, other experts from Indian Path are on-hand to meet those needs.
For more information about our midwifery program or to schedule an appointment with Patti Wilson, call (423) 392-6370.
Childbirth classes to help you prepare
Our classes are designed to boost a couple’s confidence and increase a woman’s comfort level. We invite grandparents to classes too!
Childbirth preparation class
This series introduces the expectant mom and her coach to:
- Changes of late pregnancy
- Stages/phases of labor and delivery
- The coach’s role
- Pain management, breathing and relaxation techniques
- After-delivery expectations
- Infant care basics
- Infant CPR
The class includes a tour of the labor and delivery area.
You should plan to register for a class by the 28th week of your pregnancy and begin classes between weeks 30 and 32.
This class provides information to assist families in learning the art of breastfeeding.
- Preparation for breastfeeding
- Benefits to mother and baby
- Getting started
- Managing breastfeeding
This class should be taken between weeks 32 and 38.
Learn more and find a schedule of childbirth and breastfeeding classes here.
Learn more about the birth center
Our caring staff and a calm, intimate atmosphere are waiting for you at the Barbara Humphreys Birthing Center.
If you have any questions about the birthing center or need to register for classes, please give us a call at (423) 857-7240.