Bariatric surgery, or weight-loss surgery, can make it easier for you to stay fit long-term through healthy eating and exercise. Count on Ballad Health’s nationally accredited bariatric surgery programs for the care and support you need to achieve your weight-loss goals.
Is bariatric surgery right for me?
You may qualify for weight-loss surgery if you have:
- A body mass index (BMI) of at least 40
- A BMI of 35 or above with at least two obesity-related conditions, such as Type 2 diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea or heart disease
- Trouble losing weight through just diet and exercise
Health benefits of bariatric surgery
When you get any of three types of bariatric surgery at Ballad Health and commit to healthy lifestyle changes, you may notice fewer symptoms of conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), sleep apnea or Type 2 diabetes.
You might live longer, need to take fewer medicines, feel more energetic, and find it easier to move and exercise.
Robotic-assisted bariatric surgery
Ballad Health offers robotic-assisted surgery as an option for sleeve gastrotomies and gastric bypass procedures at many of our facilities.
Robotic-assisted surgery gives your surgeon the most precise tools available to perform delicate procedures with smaller incisions and better outcomes.
Learn more about robotic-assisted surgery.
Accreditation means high-quality care
You can trust us for excellent care because Holston Valley Medical Center, Johnson City Medical Center and Laughlin Memorial Hospital are accredited by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program.
The accreditation means you benefit from:
- Experienced, highly qualified surgeons
- A team of experts who help you get well-rounded care
- Imaging and surgical tools specially designed for your needs
- Strict measures to keep you safe
During your weight-loss journey, expect support from a variety of health care professionals, such as:
- Board-certified bariatric surgeons
- Board-certified nurse practitioner who works with surgeons to help you make progress
- Licensed practical nurse insurance referral coordinator and clinical assistant to help you understand insurance requirements and program steps
- Registered dietitian to help you choose nutritious, tasty foods that help you maintain a healthy weight
Preparation & follow-up care
Achieve better results from bariatric surgery when you take advantage of Ballad Health’s wide range of support and resources.
Think weight-loss surgery can help?
You can learn more about bariatric surgery – and whether it’s right for you – at our free Exploring Weight-Loss Surgery class.
The class is offered at multiple locations each month.
You can also call one of our locations below to find out if bariatric surgery is right for you.
Comprehensive Weight Management Center
444 Clinchfield St.
Kingsport, TN 37660
Bariatric Surgery at Johnson City Medical Center
400 N. State of Franklin Rd.
Johnson City, TN 37604
Greeneville Community Hospital East
1420 Tusculum Blvd.
Greeneville, TN 37745