Thank you for your interest in the Francis Marion Manor/Smyth County Community Hospital Nurse Aide Training Program.
The Ballad Health Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) Training/Nurse Aide Program will present the basics of bedside patient care under the guidelines of federal and state requirements. Participants who successfully complete the course will meet criteria to sit for the state certification examination. This course is offered free of charge to participants.
Enrollment for the upcoming classes are continuing with some variations to prevent the spread of COVID-19. There is a slightly longer time frame for responses to applications due to workplace changes to comply with social distancing. Applicants will be contacted via the email address on the application within 1-3 business days of application submission. While it our hope that the May classes for both Tennessee and Virginia will begin as currently scheduled, if any changes need to be made to our program schedule, communication will be sent to all applicants via email. Please add CNAProgram@balladhealth.org to your contacts list to ensure receive all communications for next steps.
Our staff are working hard to answer all questions and update our practices during this unprecedented time.
Please continue to follow recommendations from CDC and community leaders regarding safe practices of handwashing, social distancing, and staying home.
- At least 17 years of age
- High school diploma or GED or be within 6 months of graduation
- Completion of criminal/health-related board background check
- Completion of medical screening
- Flu vaccine is required and will be administered during the physical in order to complete Course Clinical Requirements.
- Flu Season is October through April unless otherwise instructed by Ballad Health Infection Prevention.
All requirements MUST BE MET to be accepted into class.
- There are no charges associated with this course
- The student will be required to wear solid navy blue scrubs for class
Do I have to sign a contract with Ballad Health for taking the class?
- There is no contract requirement to attend this course; however, it is our hope that you consider applying for a CNA position at Ballad Health.
- A recruiter will be happy to discuss with you employment opportunities within Ballad Health. For questions, contact our Human Resources Department Recruitment line at 1 (866) 894-7761 to speak with one of our recruiters about available job opportunities at Ballad Health. Students will have the opportunity to apply for vacant CNA positions after completing this course.
- There are paid student opportunities available
- Student must complete the enrollment process for the CNA program to be eligible.
To apply for CNA/nurse aide training
Follow the link below to complete the online application. When the application has been received you will be sent an e-mail acknowledgement with instruction on how to complete the pre-course online assessment. Please note that much of the correspondence for enrollment in this class is via e-mail, so please ensure you enter a working e-mail address carefully.
- Complete the online application
- Complete the online pre-course assessment (E-mail instructions will be provided upon receipt of your application submission.)
- Complete the background check (E-mail instructions will be provided upon receipt of your application submission. Please Note: You will need to report in person to the Smyth County Community Hospital Human resources office in order to complete this step. You must complete this step with in ten days.)
- Wait for a representative of Francis Marion Manor/Smyth County Community Hospital to contact you via e-mail.
- After completion of the interview you will be scheduled for the physical.
For more information emailCNAProgram@balladhealth.org.
Availability, course length and location
- Each class has a maximum of 50 students accepted to class.
- If more than 50 applicants meet the minimum requirements listed above, the 50 applicants with the top score on the on-line assessment will be selected to attend class.
- Completion of the minimum requirements is NOT an automatic acceptance into class. You must wait for the e-mail stating you are accepted to class.
- Acceptances are not typically sent until approximately 1 month prior to the start of class. · Classes are available at various locations: Market Street Center, Johnson City; Bristol Regional Medical Center, Bristol; Indian Path Medical Center, Kingsport; Greeneville Community Hospital West, Greeneville.
- Please refer to the Course Schedule for locations
- Classes are available in multiple scheduling formats:
- Monday through Friday
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday
- Tuesday Thursday
- 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- 4 to 9 p.m.
This course contains 80 hours classroom time with 40 hours supervised clinical time to follow. Please check the course schedule for upcoming classes. Class days/hours: 4:30 – 9:30 p.m. Monday - Thursday for 6 weeks, including 40 hours of clinical (clinical schedules will vary according to the number of students/instructors per class).
Course hours will be held at Francis Marion Manor Health & Rehabilitation, located at 100 Francis Marion Lane, Marion, VA 24354, Phone: (276) 378-1800.
Goals and objectives
- The student will be able to demonstrate safe, competent care of long-term care and hospitalized patients upon completion of the course.
Complete listing of course goals and objectives provided during class.
(276) 378-1804 or (276) 378-1809