Find care for the urinary tract and male reproductive system in East Tennessee and Southwest Virginia at Ballad Health.
Doctors called urologists will take time to answer your questions and help you feel more like you should.
Conditions We Treat
Turn to a urologist when you need a test or treatment for conditions such as:
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) – Prostate that gets too big and causes trouble urinating
- Cancer of the bladder, kidney or prostate
- Erectile dysfunction – Trouble getting or keeping an erection for sex
- Incontinence – Loss of bladder control
- Kidney stones
- Ureteropelvic junction obstruction – Blocked urine
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs), including kidney and bladder infections
- Vesicoureteral reflux – Back flow of urine into the kidneys
Urology Services & Treatments
If it’s right for you, a doctor will start your treatment with medicine or another nonsurgical option.
But you might benefit from one of these procedures:
- Laparoscopic nephrectomy – Removes a kidney through tiny incisions (cuts in the skin)
- Laser prostate resection – Uses intense light to melt away prostate tissue blocking urine flow
- Lithotripsy – Breaks up kidney stones using sound waves or laser
- Microscopic varicocelectomy – Removes scrotum veins that are too big and can cause infertility
- Reconstructive urologic surgery – Fixes an injured urinary tract
- Vasectomy – Prevents the release of sperm during sex so a woman can’t get pregnant
- Vasectomy reversal – Allows the release of sperm again
When possible, your surgeon might take a less-invasive approach to surgery that uses only very small incisions (cuts in the skin).
This means you’ll recover faster, feel less pain and notice less scarring afterward.
Da Vinci Robotic Surgery
For some less-invasive surgeries, your doctor controls a surgical da Vinci® robot. The robot’s arms have tools that move more steadily, fully and precisely than human hands.
Your surgeon might use the da Vinci robot during:
- Cryotherapy – Freezes and destroys prostate cancer cells
- Holmium laser prostate surgery – Uses intense light to melt away prostate tissue blocking urine flow
- Nephrectomy – Removes all or part of a damaged kidney
- Prostatectomy – Removes a prostate that has cancer