You are here
Breast Imaging – 3D Digital Mammography
The latest technology for early breast cancer detection – now available across the Tri-Cities region
One of the latest innovations in women’s health care, three-dimensional breast mammography (3D mammography), allows Ballad Health breast centers to detect breast cancer in its earliest stages.
2D mammography limitations
With conventional two-dimensional mammograms, breast cancers can be missed because they’re sometimes hidden behind normal breast tissue.
Another problem is that normal breast tissues can overlap (or superimpose) one another. This creates what radiologists call a summation shadow in a 2D image.
Though it isn’t a cancer, this “shadow” can look like cancer.
The effect is similar to the way the words on one side of a page appear superimposed over the words on the back of the page when you hold it up to a light.
Unfortunately, seeing that shadow can mean further, unnecessary diagnostic testing.
How is 3D better?
A clearer, easier to read image
For 3D mammography – which is also called 3D digital breast tomosynthesis or tomography (DBT) – a short X-ray sweep across the breast is used to create an image of the whole breast.
The image is designed to separate the tissues and reduce the overlapping tissues that can result in false positive readings.
In fact, 3D mammograms allow the radiologist to take multiple pictures of each breast from various angles.
This just isn’t possible with a traditional 2D mammogram, which takes a single image in two directions.
What’s the bottom line with 3D?
3D mammograms improve cancer detection rates.
Three-dimensional digital mammography improves early detection and diagnosis of breast cancer. And this helps us put an even greater emphasis on your wellbeing as a patient.
3D mammography provides:
- Clearer images – Multiple images throughout the breast allows the radiologist see abnormalities in dense breast tissue that may otherwise go undetected.
- Greater confidence – By helping your doctor see around and between breast tissues, which is difficult with 2D technology. This way, 3D mammograms remove the visual “clutter” to make a mammogram easier to read in women of all breast tissue types.
- Fewer false positives – Together, this enhanced clarity and confidence mean overlapping normal tissue (that might look abnormal in 2D imaging and mistakenly identified as breast cancer) can be more easily seen as normal with 3D mammography.
- One exam for most women, including those with dense breasts – 3D mammography can be used for screening those with any type of breast, including the 40% of women with dense breasts. For them, tumors can be obscured in a 2D mammogram by dense tissues, which makes detecting cancer more challenging.
How are 2D and 3D mammography similar?
In addition to being unique in some important ways, 3D mammography is similar to 2D in some important ways.
Same comfort level
The position of the breast in 3D tomosynthesis is identical to 2D, which means the examination is no less comfortable.
Images are obtained from the same positions as a traditional 2D mammogram.
Learn more about mammography on the mammography FAQ page.
Why choose Ballad Health breast centers?
ACR accredited for your peace of mind
Ballad Health offers fully accredited breast centers, some of which have been named Breast Imaging Centers of Excellence by the American College of Radiology.
Our Centers have experienced staffs and knowledgeable physicians geared to offer the best possible experience.
Comfort and convenience
In one convenient, spa-like facility, you can have access to:
- Expert physicians
- Advanced technology, including 3D mammography
- Unmatched support for any breast health need – from prevention and screening to detection, treatment and survivorship
You can schedule 3D mammography at any of the Ballad Health locations listed below.
Have questions about mammography?
Or call 833-8-BALLAD to schedule a mammogram today.
Breast Imaging – 3D Digital Mammography Locations
Kingsport, TN 37660
Greeneville, TN 37745
Rogersville, TN 37857
Abingdon, VA 24211
Bristol, TN 37620
Big Stone Gap, VA 24219
Marion, VA 24354
Erwin, TN 37650