Although lung cancer remains a leading cause of death for adults, 25% of those diagnosed with lung cancer will have no symptoms. Early detection is critical for the chance at a successful treatment. The five-year survival rate for lung cancer is 54% for cases detected when the cancer is still localized within the lungs. However, only 15% of lung cancer cases are diagnosed at an early stage.
For far too many patients in the East Tennessee and Southwest Virginia regions, lung cancer is diagnosed at an advanced stage, making treatment difficult or impossible. However, the new diagnostic and treatment options at Ballad Health facilities can catch potential lung disease at earlier, more treatable stages.
Low-dose CT – breakthrough screening technology
Low-dose CT screening is one of the most important breakthroughs in cancer diagnosis in recent years. This screening is a simple, pain-free test that uses X-rays to take detailed images of your lungs. With early lung disease intervention, we’re able to give patients better options for treatment – and much better chances of survival.
Low-dose CT lung cancer screening is recommended if you're between ages 55-79 and:
- Have at least a 30-year pack history (Pack history is determined by the number of packs patients smoke or smoked a day, multiplied by the number of years they smoked.)
- Currently smoke or have quit in the last 15 years
- Do not have signs or symptoms of lung cancer
If you have lung disease, particularly COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), you should be evaluated by a pulmonologist before seeking low-dose CT.
Low-dose CT screenings are offered at several Ballad Health locations, so you won't have to travel far for early intervention. All of these facilities are ACR certified in low-dose CT screenings, which mean you’re benefitting from the most up-to-date technology by a highly qualified staff.
Ballad Health’s Lung Nodule Program
Through early diagnosis and treatment, this program was built to help you beat lung cancer and reverse this upward trend. By providing quick access to a team of Ballad Health specialists, we can catch, treat and monitor potential problem spots as early as possible.
To ensure lung cancer is detected early and you are well cared-for throughout treatment and recovery, Ballad Health’s lung nodule program offers many benefits:
- Immediate assessment, diagnosis and recommendations
- Patient education and support – before, during and after diagnosis
- State-of-the-art diagnostics, including low-dose CT and electromagnetic navigational bronchoscopy for early detection
- A team approach to care featuring providers across several medical fields: pulmonologists, radiologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, thoracic surgeons and lung navigators
- Breakthrough radiation oncology technology, such as CyberKnife, TrueBeam and Trilogy robotic radiosurgery systems
- Ongoing communication with referring providers
- Smoking cessation assistance