You are here
Heart & Vascular Diagnosis & Testing
Find out if you have a heart or vascular condition so your doctor can recommend treatment to help you start feeling better.
Depending on your symptoms, he or she may order a test at Ballad Health to show a picture of your heart, check its rhythm or see how healthy your blood vessels are.
Visit a Ballad Health location when you need:
- Echocardiogram – Uses painless ultrasound to show the heart’s structure and valves in detail as the heart beats to determine how well the heart is functioning
- Transesophageal echocardiogram – Slides a thin tube down your throat to take ultrasound pictures from the back side of the heart
- Neonatal and fetal echocardiography – Uses ultrasound to show a picture of your baby’s heart before or after birth
- Cardiac MRI – Shows detailed images of your heart using magnets and radio waves
- Calcium scoring – Uses a high-speed CT scan to show whether calcium has built up in your heart arteries
- Heart PET scan – Gives you an injection of contrast dye that makes your heart and blood vessels show up on a special camera
- Cardiac catheterization – Inserts a thin, flexible tube into blood vessels near your heart to make them show up on a video X-ray
- Angiogram – Injects contrast dye into your blood vessels to make them show up through X-ray testing
You can expect highly qualified staff to correctly use up-to-date technology to take your echocardiogram and determine the results.
That’s because the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission gave accreditation in adult echocardiography to Johnson City Medical Center, Ballad Health Imaging Center at Med Tech Park in Johnson City, Wellmont CVA Heart Institute in Abingdon and Johnston Memorial Hospital.
Heart Stress Tests
To see how well your heart responds when it has to work harder than usual, you might get:
- Exercise stress test – Checks your heart rate as you walk on a treadmill or use another exercise machine
- Medicine stress test – Gives you a drug to mimic the effect of exercise on your heart if you can’t complete an exercise stress test
- Nuclear stress test – Injects contrast dye into your blood vessels so your doctor can see them during a stress test
- Stress echocardiogram – Takes ultrasound pictures of the heart before and after exercise testing
- PET stress test – Produces pictures of the heart with non-invasive nuclear imaging.
Heart Rhythm Tests
If you feel like your heart sometimes beats too fast or skips a beat, your doctor might ask you to get a test that measures the heart’s electrical activity.
Learn about the specific tests and other services you’ll find for heart rhythm disorders at Ballad Health.
Vascular (Blood Vessel) Tests
Your doctor may need to look for clots or check the blood pressure in arteries and veins in a certain area of your body. In that case, take advantage of Ballad Health’s complete vascular and vein services.
Heart & Vascular Diagnosis & Testing Locations
Bristol, TN 37620
Rogersville, TN 37857
Kingsport, TN 37660
Johnson City, TN 37604
Greeneville, TN 37745
Big Stone Gap, VA 24219
Norton, VA 24273
Elizabethton, TN 37643
Greeneville, TN 37743
Erwin, TN 37650
Abingdon, VA 24211
Bristol, TN 37620