Free Certified Nurse Assistant Classes
Earn your CNA certification with free classes and flexible scheduling
While entering the healthcare world is exciting, trying to figure out where to start can be difficult. A role as a certified nursing assistant (CNA) can be a great place to begin your healthcare career. CNAs are the backbone of healthcare, and they spend more time directly caring for patients than people in any other position.
Our FREE CNA training program presents the basics of bedside patient care with an emphasis on geriatrics and long-term care. This program meets federal and state guideline requirements and introduces one of the most critical services Ballad Health delivers.
3 reasons to start your career as a CNA
- This program sets a foundation of experience that you can utilize to propel you forward in your healthcare journey.
- Get started in our free CNA training program and get paid while you train without signing a multi-year commitment to a nursing program.
- If you decide you want to become a registered nurse (RN) after being certified, you have a strong advantage over others into being accepted into a nursing program.
What does a certified nursing assistant do?
CNAs are one of the most important roles in medical care. They work with patients intimately and typically spend a larger amount of time with patients than nurses or doctors.
- Attend to the needs of patients
- Aid patients with routine tasks, including eating, bathing, dressing and exercise
- Observe and record patient conditions and vital signs
- Update care team on changes in patient condition
- Assist patients and their families through emotionally challenging situations while creating a comforting environment
About the Ballad Health CNA training program
- Be at least 17 years of age and 6 months from your high school graduation
- Completion of a criminal/health-related board background check
- Compliant with Ballad Health vaccination policy
All requirements must be met to be accepted into the course.
Choose a program
Our hybrid program consists of online classes with in-person clinicals and labs.
Once you’ve submitted your online application, you’ll be asked to complete an online background check. Email instructions will be provided with an individualized link to complete the check free of charge.
After this is completed, you will be contacted to schedule your physical/drug screen at no cost.
Clinical hours are completed at a designated Ballad Health facility with set rotation schedules determined at the beginning of your class.
All clinical hours will be scheduled with an instructor and cannot be completed independently.
Once you’ve completed the course, you’ll meet the criteria to sit for the state certification examination, which Ballad Health will pay for.
Upon completion of the course and exam, students are eligible for a CNA position with Ballad Health.
Apply for the CNA training program
You can apply for your chosen program by clicking the links below:
- Tennessee course
- Virginia course
- Online hybrid course
- Choose the “online hybrid” option under the question about class dates.
2022 class schedule
Tennessee CNA training program
Our Tennessee classes contain 60 hours of classroom time with 40 hours of supervised clinical time to follow. Part-time, daytime and evening course schedules are offered.
Virginia CNA training program
Our Virginia classes contain 80 hours of classroom time with 40 hours of supervised clinical time to follow. Part-time, daytime and evening course schedules are offered.
Have questions about our program?
Learn more about our free certified nursing assistant classes by visiting our CNA training frequently asked questions page.
You can also contact our CNA program by emailing CNAProgram@balladhealth.org or calling (423) 431-2622.