You are here
Children’s Resource Center
We believe healthy communities start with healthy children.
The Children’s Resource Center aims to improve community health by investing in the health of children and their families through targeted outreach and support programs.
We work with healthcare providers, schools and community agencies to:
- Engage children and families in healthy behaviors
- Help them navigate through complex health challenges
- Connect them to resources and support networks that can best meet their needs
Every child is different. Children whose families are fully engaged in their unique healthcare decisions have better outcomes.
Family engagement programs enable families to know and do more regarding their child’s health. This means better care and also reduced demand on the healthcare system.
The family engagement program manager for the Children’s Resource Center will be on site at the hospital to help families in a variety of ways, like ordering equipment, managing medications and providing education.
The program also includes:
- Resources, books and information
- Family resource specialists stationed throughout the region to provide community-based support for families
- Education opportunities for the community such as conferences, workshops and training sessions
Community engagement and health promotion empower children and families to make healthy lifestyle choices about physical activity, nutrition and safety.
The Children’s Resource Center focuses on three key areas to improve children’s health: wellness, education/literacy and safety:
- Safety/injury prevention programs – According to the Tennessee Department of Health, more than 18% of childhood deaths in the state were accidental, meaning they were preventable.
- Wellness programs – Working with existing and developing community programs, we will educate people on making healthy choices.
- Literacy programs – Studies show there is a strong correlation between literacy and health. Kids who are below reading level by the third grade have a much lower potential to finish school, which can affect their health for the rest of their lives.
Children with chronic and complex health conditions and their families need help managing the specialized care they receive.
The Children’s Resource Center serves children with a wide range of serious conditions, such as cerebral palsy, cancer, congenital heart disease and intellectual disabilities. Treatment is complex, and children and families often need help managing their care.
The care navigation team provides that support, supplementing the care from physicians and other providers both at Niswonger Children’s Hospital and at other locations.
The program also includes:
- Creation of a comprehensive care plan with the primary care provider
- A team-based approach to care, including communication with physicians, social workers, specialists, etc.
- Continual care navigation between scheduled visits, potentially including home visits by a social worker
For more information about the Children’s Resource Center, please call (423) 431-4875 or email email@example.com.